Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

needed: siren production dates,

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 am

Hi everyone,

There is a new law in Indiana regarding warning sirens, Indiana Code 36-8-21.5. It's about 6 pages long but eventually every county will need to turn in a "report" to the state regarding their warning siren coverage. There are a list of things that have to be included in this report and one of them has to do with production dates. Take an SD-10 for example, they want to know what year that particular line of sirens first started production. So like with the 2001 series they first started production around 1988. There are others that I don't know and will eventually need for this report. These are the types that I don't know

Federal Signal
Model 2
Model 5
STH-10
SD-10

American Signal
Banshee

Whelen Engineering
WPS-4004

I've used the search option and have pretty much narrowed down the 2001 and Thunderbolt dates, but not the others. I know the Models 2 and 5 date back pretty far, but I'm not sure about the rest. Any help you guys could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

fedsigtbolt

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 am

Not shure about the others but the STL-10 came around or before the same time as STH 10. The STL-10 was made back around 56.
Just because I said so Dosen't mean do it! Wait what?

Hacksaw

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:39 am

The SD-10 was from around 1954 to 1970.

The Model 2 is still being made.

500AT

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:46 am

The Federal Model 2 first made it's appearance in 1913. The original design has changed over the years and at one time, there was two Model 2 sirens in production. The regular production run, and the Canadian version. The latter of the two won out in the late 1970s, as it was much more economical to just produce one model. That being said, The Federal Model 2 was an upgrade of the earlier Model 1, which also remained in production until the Post-War era.

The earliest Model 5 that I know of is still existent, and resides in Chelsea, Michigan. This siren was purchased in 1933, and replaced an earlier Sterling horizontal until. Nonetheless, I would have to say that the Model 5 probably made it's debut around 1931.

The SD-10 was in production from 1954-1982.

The STH-10 and STL-10 were introduced in 1950 and the latter was discontinued in 1983. The city of Toledo, Ohio had several STL-10s that were installed in 1953. Likewise, Columbus, Ohio once fielded a large collection of STL-10 sirens that were painted yellow from the 1950s.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 pm

The STH was dropped in 2006-2007. I remember it was still a hot topic when I first joined the board here.

r4tbolts

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 pm

500AT wrote:The Federal Model 2 first made it's appearance in 1913. The original design has changed over the years and at one time, there was two Model 2 sirens in production. The regular production run, and the Canadian version. The latter of the two won out in the late 1970s, as it was much more economical to just produce one model. That being said, The Federal Model 2 was an upgrade of the earlier Model 1, which also remained in production until the Post-War era.

The earliest Model 5 that I know of is still existent, and resides in Chelsea, Michigan. This siren was purchased in 1933, and replaced an earlier Sterling horizontal until. Nonetheless, I would have to say that the Model 5 probably made it's debut around 1931.

The SD-10 was in production from 1954-1982.

The STH-10 and STL-10 were introduced in 1950 and the latter was discontinued in 1983. The city of Toledo, Ohio had several STL-10s that were installed in 1953. Likewise, Columbus, Ohio once fielded a large collection of STL-10 sirens that were painted yellow from the 1950s.
Which model 5 in Chelsea is it? They have one on the Police Building and one on a pole south of downtown behind the gas station on S. Main. The one on the police station still works as far as I know I've heard it on test day there a few differnet times.

r4tbolts.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 pm

holler wrote:The STH was dropped in 2006-2007. I remember it was still a hot topic when I first joined the board here.
I believe the Eclipse-8 was its replacement.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:04 pm

the Banshee was made up until the late 80's or early 90's, I believe. I know the Screamer was in production until '98 or so.

500AT

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:58 pm

r4tbolts wrote: Which model 5 in Chelsea is it? They have one on the Police Building and one on a pole south of downtown behind the gas station on S. Main. The one on the police station still works as far as I know I've heard it on test day there a few differnet times.

r4tbolts.
This would be the one downtown on top of the police station. The last two months this siren failed to activate. The last I heard, they plan on sending a technician to exam it. Hopefully, they will be able to solve the problem and place the siren back in service.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

r4tbolts

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 pm

500AT wrote:
r4tbolts wrote: Which model 5 in Chelsea is it? They have one on the Police Building and one on a pole south of downtown behind the gas station on S. Main. The one on the police station still works as far as I know I've heard it on test day there a few differnet times.

r4tbolts.
This would be the one downtown on top of the police station. The last two months this siren failed to activate. The last I heard, they plan on sending a technician to exam it. Hopefully, they will be able to solve the problem and place the siren back in service.
2 or 3 summers ago, I was downtown when Chelsea did their saturday test at noon. The siren ran for at least 10 minutes I'm assuming they couldn't shut it off and had to find someone to cut the power. I'm surprised it didn't burn up the motor then. BTW it was a nice sounding siren.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”