Robert Gift

Can we call the fire station and remotely sound the siren?

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:58 am

Is there a way to input a code, for example: 8676236 (TORNADO)
that would operate the siren from an officer's telephone or cell phone without anyone having to get to the fire station?

We could obtain a radio receiver to activate the 2t22 when the City of Aurora (to the west of us) activates their Whelen sirens.
But Aurora has done a number of false tornado warnings.

(When there was a tornado in the far south end of Aurora, they activated ALL of their sirens, even though the north half of Aurora was under clear blue skies.)

Thank you.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJ

Re: Can we call the fire station and remotely sound the sire

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Robert Gift wrote:Is there a way to input a code, for example: 8676236 (TORNADO)
that would operate the siren from a telephone or cell phone without having to get to the station?

We could obtain a radio receiver to activate the 2t22 when the City of Aurora (to the west of us) activates their Whelen sirens.
But Aurora has done a number of false tornado warnings.

(When there was a tornado in the very south end of Aurora, they activated ALL of their sirens, even though the north half of Aurora was under clear blue skies.)

Thank you.
Yeah, a telephone relay. I'm not exactly an expert on them but there are some people on here that will be able to help you with that.
~Charlie J.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 pm

You'll need a Viking RC-3 to do that. They run anywhere from $88-$200 sometimes. Here's one I found for you that's only $88: http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/Viking ... 20rc-3.htm

This is the same device that I'm going to be using to remotely activate my Model 2 if a tornado warning is issued when I'm not home.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Robert Gift

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:17 pm

soccerdude7330 wrote:You'll need a Viking RC-3 to do that. They run anywhere from $88-$200 sometimes. Here's one I found for you that's only $88: http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/Viking ... 20rc-3.htm

This is the same device that I'm going to be using to remotely activate my Model 2 if a tornado warning is issued when I'm not home.
Thanks, dude.
I'll click and investigate.

CJ

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:41 pm

soccerdude7330 wrote:You'll need a Viking RC-3 to do that. They run anywhere from $88-$200 sometimes. Here's one I found for you that's only $88: http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/Viking ... 20rc-3.htm

Ooh now that's something i'd just have to have. Doesn't Archon use one?
~Charlie J.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:28 pm

We are using a Viking RC-3 hooked to an AR timer to activate the 2t22 in Rhine. I have the phone number and activation codes wrote down in my wallet so I can call and activate it if a tornado warning is issued for southern Dodge county. The mayor, two other city council members, and me have touchtone phones at their house with the number and codes programmed in, so activation is as simple as pressing two buttons.

The good thing about having an RC-3 is that you can program a relay to latch for any amount of time, so your siren can do alert without requiring an AR. All it will need is a slave relay to control the motor starter, since the relay contacts in the RC-3 are very light duty. All it takes is that motor starter coil shorting and you have a siren that is stuck on.

Archon

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:51 pm

CJ wrote:

Ooh now that's something i'd just have to have. Doesn't Archon use one?[/quote

I have a Viking RC-2A Which only controls 1 function. which at this time is all I need

Robert Gift

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Archon wrote:
CJ wrote:
Ooh now that's something i'd just have to have. Doesn't Archon use one?
I have a Viking RC-2A Which only controls 1 function. which at this time is all I need
Archon, could you please tell me how this works?

Does it require its own line?
Does it answer so that one can then input the code?

My fire department has an IP addressed telephone service.

I'll try to find out more about the system.
Thank you.
Robert

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 am

Robert Gift wrote:
Archon wrote:
CJ wrote: Ooh now that's something i'd just have to have. Doesn't Archon use one?
Archon, could you please tell me how this works?

Does it require its own line?
Does it answer so that one can then input the code?

My fire department has an IP addressed telephone service.

I'll try to find out more about the system.
Thank you.
Robert
This is how it works:

You give the viking relay it's own phone line with a phone number. It takes over whatever line you put it on so it's best to have a line just for it.

You dial the phone number the relay is hooked to. After a programmable amount of rings the relay answers with two confirmation beeps.

You press *, the access code, and the relay commands in one line. Such as if you wanted relay one to do a brief contact closure, you press 1 for the relay and 2 for the command

So let's say the number to the siren is 444-5555 (with area code if needed). If you needed to activate one function of an AR timer the activation string would look like this. In this scenario the six digit acess code is set to 123456

444-5555 (wait for two confirmation beeps)

two more confirmation beeps and hang up phone.

Robert Gift

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:16 am

Thank you, holler.

I assumed it would require its own extension.
Would be nice if we had a fax line.
The fax could be disconnected when not needed.

Unfortunately, with the IP address phone system, I doubt this can work.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”