Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

West Texas Sirens Cont'd from Cont'd+New Pics

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:10 pm

-:- Rather than bringing up a dead thread and having people click through 5 pages of old info, I decided to make a new one -:-

I just got back from a week-long trip back home. (I did manage to beat all the exciting weather though...) I stopped through a couple of cities on the way in/out and have a few pics to show, though I ask for your patience in getting them all posted.

Here are a few of the more interesting pictures...

To start off, I have an unfamiliar siren. Trey, from here, accompanied me on a mini hunt, and we came to the general consensus that this was probably an Erick. Anything not Federal, Sentry or ACA out here is rare, so finding this was a nice treat.

The controls. This unit is in Slaton, TX, which is a system of 4 SD-10s, 1 M-10, and this.

Quanah, TX, has 3 SD-10s, and a Model 2. As you can see, this is a rather redundant installation. These two sirens are at a park right off of US 287.

Moving on to Floydada, TX. They have a decent sized system of STH-10s, an ACA Screamer, 2T22(s) and this speaker system on the courthouse.

Post, TX has this at a city lot, and has yet to install it. It has been here for awhile. It's brother lives in Southland, just north of Post.

And finally [for now] the city that just doesn't need sirens: Lubbock. "We no longer have sirens." Indeed. That's why this one is in near-immaculate condition and is still hooked up to power right? Right.

Up in its business.. Note the "ON" position of the switch.

Another forgotten Thunderbolt a few blocks away. Lubbock still has 5 or 10 of these strewn about the city. Most at fire stations, though they are slowly disappearing.

Ransom Canyon, or "The Rich Neighborhood in Lubbock," Has two sirens. A 2001 (not pictured for lack of interest) and a DSA. The DSA is located at the top of the canyon, and warns the rim neighborhood, while the 2001 is in the canyon, warning the mansions and lake.

Vernon, TX has several sirens, though I only found 3. Either they inappropriately placed the sirens about 3 blocks away from each other on the north side of the city, or they have more that are hidden in the trees. My guess would be the latter option.

Crowell, TX is an extremely small town. I was literally shocked to find two 2001s, and a STH-10 in a town that barely covers 2 square miles.

Image Image Image

And lastly, here is a Model 3/5 in the town of Altus, OK. They have about 7 of these around town, which I imagine, would sound rather interesting during an actualy emergency. I only took a picture of this one, as we were running late from construction on the tollway.

Last edited by Travis on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Princess

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Those sirens look familiar! :wink:

Great pictures, Travis! I'll be keeping a very close eye on that Slaton siren.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm

That's pretty sad about Lubbock. Are they trying to make a point by being stupid?

Robert Gift

Re: West Texas Sirens Cont'd from Cont'd :]

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:03 pm

SirenkiD wrote: Image...
Nice photos, kiD.

Where does the air enter?
Up through the motor housing, cooling the motor and some up through the lower stator?

And through that space between the upper and lower stators?

Does any enter beneathe rain cap?
I'd expect the top rotor to become starved for air.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Re: West Texas Sirens Cont'd from Cont'd :]

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
SirenkiD wrote: ...
Nice photos, kiD.

Where does the air enter?
Up through the motor housing, cooling the motor and some up through the lower stator?

And through that space between the upper and lower stators?

Does any enter beneathe rain cap?
I'd expect the top rotor to become starved for air.
The housing to this siren is most likely missing. The air for the lower rotor enters between the top and bottom stators, and the air for the top rotor enters from the top. This is my most educated guess from the design of the siren.
-The Princess

SouthDakotaBoy2009

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 pm

looks similar to this one in Clark SD.
Still no one can ID this thing

You Are What You Are & I Yam What I Yam
My Youtube Account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalEagleInc

CJ

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 am

SouthDakotaBoy2009 wrote:looks similar to this one in Clark SD.
Still no one can ID this thing

Probably shop-built
~Charlie J.

Trey

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 am

holler wrote:That's pretty sad about Lubbock. Are they trying to make a point by being stupid?
Lubbock makes really stupid decisions.

Keep in mind everybody, Lubbock is the town that got hit and heavily damaged from an F-5 tornado back in 1970.

I would have thought they would have learned their lesson, wouldn't you guys think so too? :roll:

CJ

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Trey wrote:
holler wrote:That's pretty sad about Lubbock. Are they trying to make a point by being stupid?

Keep in mind everybody, Lubbock is the town that got hit and heavily damaged from an F-5 tornado back in 1970.

I would have thought they would have learned their lesson, wouldn't you guys think so too? :roll:
So they got hit by an F-5, have sirens that are clearly in service and claim they don't. Yeah. That's real smart of them. Texas is right in the middle of tornado alley too, you would expect everywhere to use them.

Some towns just don't seem to understand, or at least their councils / mayors.
~Charlie J.

Trey

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 pm

CJ wrote:
Trey wrote:

So they got hit by an F-5, have sirens that are clearly in service and claim they don't. Yeah. That's real smart of them. Texas is right in the middle of tornado alley too, you would expect everywhere to use them.

Some towns just don't seem to understand, or at least their councils / mayors.
Correct!

Lubbock's emergency manager told NewsChannel 11 multiple times over the past few years that Lubbock's old siren system is in "non-working" condition and even the sirens that do work won't cover the newest parts of Lubbock (which is true). Lubbock has grown rapidly on the south and west parts of town in the last few years. Anyways, he is thoroughly convinced that since it would take millions of dollars of taxpayer money, that a Reverse-911 system is the cheapest and most effective way to go in the 21st Century.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”