carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sirens found on my trip

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Thunderbolt in downtown Phoenix on building across from Wells Fargo building:

Model 3/5/7 inside Grand Canyon park on top of Shirley Hall:

Model 2 in Cortez, CO behind Auto Glass Technology. I don't think this is used anymore, because notice the wires around the control box:

Whelen in Tempe, AZ along Rio Salado River at park construction on Rio Salado Pkwy. Why is there 1 head instead of 2?

Whelens in Tempe, AZ along Rio Salado River and I-10. This time, there are 2 heads instead of 1:
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I remember seeing that Grand Canyon Siren while I was there when I was 6...
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

Ninja Squirrel

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Nice pictures. Do you know if the river has an ending point where there's only one head of the Whelen? Or the other head could be broken and needs replacement or repair.
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone. Like blow their head off.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HyperFlameGuy

carexpertandy

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Ninja Squirrel wrote:Nice pictures. Do you know if the river has an ending point where there's only one head of the Whelen? Or the other head could be broken and needs replacement or repair.
I have no idea. Notice that there are 2 solar panels, so I would think maybe one head was not working and was taken down for repair.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Ninja Squirrel

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Did you get a chance to see if the arms that hold up the Whelen head are welded into the pole or bolted? If they are welded, then chances are that the pole never had the other head on it, unless they actually went as far as cutting off the arm to get to the head.
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone. Like blow their head off.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HyperFlameGuy

Federal Signal fan

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Whoa, it appears the brass cap on the Thunderbolt has lost it's paint! :o That's surprising, anyway, I've never seen a double-headed Whelen, just another reason to stay away from them when they go off. I think it's neat that Arizona has their siren red, looks like it matches the weather. Great pictures, definitely another reason to move to Arizona, like everyone in Bourbonnais is doing. :lol:

Joshua
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I remember seeing the dual-whelen one on TWC back in 2005. The angle that the pic was taken at made it look like the two heads were one siren.

carexpertandy

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 pm

Ninja Squirrel wrote:Did you get a chance to see if the arms that hold up the Whelen head are welded into the pole or bolted? If they are welded, then chances are that the pole never had the other head on it, unless they actually went as far as cutting off the arm to get to the head.
No, I didn't pay close attention.

CTsirenhunter

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:14 pm

There was a whole topic about those Whelens on this very forum last year. If you could find it, it has more pictures and explains what they are for.
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

carexpertandy

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:22 pm

CTsirenhunter wrote:There was a whole topic about those Whelens on this very forum last year. If you could find it, it has more pictures and explains what they are for.
http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... mpe+whelen

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”