Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

More ATIs going up

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:09 pm

Here are photos and a news section on the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant's replacement of old sirens within a 10 mile radius of the plant. All old sirens replaced with ATIs (very sad :cry: :cry: ):
http://www.safesecurevital.org/sirens/photos.html

FedTB

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:48 pm

What a mistake! Taking down an ASC (ACA?) siren and replacing it with an ATI. :roll: :cry: What was wrong with the old sirens? How old was the old system?

Low bid=bad deal! Lower bid doesn't mean the best bid. :x

Daniel

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:54 pm

A stupid mistake. At least the old ones sounded like sirens and not a bad case of mike feedback.

Jim_Ferer

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:57 pm

FWIW, they don't look old. P-15s. I wonder what motivated the replacement?

KnightFox

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:09 pm

A federal requirement stating that the sirens must be battery back-up, which the old ones didn't have.

Funny, they probably would have been better with 2001 SRN's

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:19 pm

2001s, T-128s, T-121s, T-112s, EclipseNHs, Eclipse8s, Modulators, Whelens, DSAs, Alertroncs/any ASC electronic, or any Sentrys with battery backup available.

I don't see why people keep going with ATI, I mean does news not spread throughout the country like it should? :x I mean they have clearly failed in San Francisco, and are not loud enough in Allen TX, and Nashville TN.

scooterbugs25

Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:12 am

If you click the main subject head SIRENS you can hear a clip of the new sirens, It does not sound like the typical Beeper. Maybe ATI has changed the sound of the speaker array?

Melvin Potts

More ATIs going up

Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:55 am

If you click the main subject head SIRENS you can hear a clip of the new sirens, It does not sound like the typical Beeper. Maybe ATI has changed the sound of the speaker array?
That certainly does sound different from the ATIs in Nashville! It's a lower pitch and more intense sound.

There's one at the school in my neighborhood. It's about 1/2 mile away"as the crow flies."

System is tested on 1st Saturday of the month at noon. Many months I don't hear it at all..even if no TV, etc. is on. Sometimes I can hear it faintly. One time last year there must've been a good breeze blowing towards the house, because I heard it very clearly.

Brentwood, TN, just across the county line from Nashviile has 2001s and also has Modulators in 2 city parks. There's a 2001 atop the Brentwood Municipal Building just down the street from where I work. We've heard it several times for tornado warnigns. Friend who works in another office building a few blocks away told me he heard it clearly one time.

Seems like any of the sirens Thunderbolt would've been a better choice for our city than the ATIs. The ones we have here just emit a high pitched electronic "squeal."

Mister_Penetrator

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:17 am

Jim_Ferer wrote:FWIW, they don't look old. P-15s. I wonder what motivated the replacement?
The P-15s are part of the penetrator series, aren't they? They can't be speakers. They look like electromechanical sirens.

Blasty

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:18 am

Thunderbolt wrote:I don't see why people keep going with ATI
Because newer technology is ALWAYS better than the old! And haven't you noticed the trend toward annoying beeps in electronic devices? Based on my observations of general society, If it sucks, it sells.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”