Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Found a Cosgrave siren!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 am

I was browsing flickr a couple weeks ago and found this picture. At first I thought it was a decot but the motor on this siren was covered. Which led me to find out that it was a cosgrave siren. This siren is located on the Police station in Jerome, AZ.

Look familiar?

Here it is on google earth.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 15&iwloc=A
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Daniel

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 am

The one in the background is a Cosgrove (nice find!) while the one in front is a 500AT after a certain former board member has finished painting it.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:03 am

It is kinda interesting when you here how many siren manufacturers that don't exist today :roll: I have never seen or heard of cosgrave, I would love to see a video of one 8)
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:23 am

Someone needs to go down there and get some pics, and even a test if possible!

Daniel

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Toledo 2t22 wrote:It is kinda interesting when you here how many siren manufacturers that don't exist today :roll: I have never seen or heard of cosgrave, I would love to see a video of one 8)
I believe that it is the same as a Gamewell "Codewell" siren, and may have an internal coding mechanism.

SirenMadness

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Daniel wrote:...while the one in front is a 500AT after a certain former board member has finished painting it.
Good ol' Rob! :lol:

What gets me about the Cosgrave sirens is that only a portion of the rotors seems to have double stators; if this has a coding mechanism, surely it would make sense to have all the rotors fitted with a moving stator. Either the secondary stators are alternating in color or there is only one stator per rotor, only to have an option of adding more stators for more power.
~ Peter Radanovic

Daniel

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:23 am

My theory on those two red rings is that they are the coding mechanism. They link the upright bars which turn with the red rings to block off the stator ports. I think that there is only one long rotor/stator, and by looking at the open ports, one can see the rotor (innermost), the stator (middle layer), and the coding shutter (top layer), held in place by the red rings.

SirenMadness

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:09 pm

That wouldn't be much of a distinctive coded signal if only a portion of the rows have a muting mechanism, though that's what it looks like to me as well, unless they only showed a portion of the secondary stators for the sake of seeing the inner stator.
~ Peter Radanovic

Daniel

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 am

SirenMadness wrote:That wouldn't be much of a distinctive coded signal if only a portion of the rows have a muting mechanism, though that's what it looks like to me as well, unless they only showed a portion of the secondary stators for the sake of seeing the inner stator.
If you look at it closely, the upright bars block off the entire length of the stator openings. The red rings simply hold them in place and rotate them. If my theory is correct, of course.

Think of it as a siren with an inner and an outer stator. The inner one is just like the stator of any other siren, while the outer one rotates to cover the ports of the inner one. This effectively closes off the entire stator with a very small rotation, which could be done by a rotary solenoid or a small motor underneath the siren motor inside the housing. If removed, the outer stator would resemble two red rings supporting a circle of flat, upright bars.

Archon

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:33 am

This codewell/Cosgrave Siren IS suppose to be a tri tone siren

Joe

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”