Busgeek71

Question about siren distance

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 am

My town just got a new ATI HPSS32 installed, I think today, but it's a half mile away from two other HPSS32 units, and I wondered if that new siren will be useless since the sound travels about a mile away. Anyone know?

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:11 am

I dont think it would be. As long as it is covered it shouldn't matter how many sirens it takes or how much over coverage there is. As long as there are working sirens that is all that matters.
Ian Tate
Facebook

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 am

Well, I know from personal experience and observations of the local siren it depends on three things (mainly)

1. ambient termperature, humidy, barometric pressure
2. background noise
3. how much crap the sound has to get through before it gets there. Trees really suck it up, and the wind blowing through a pecan tree makes a lot of racket too.

thunderbolt69

Re: Question about siren distance

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:10 am

Busgeek71 wrote:My town just got a new ATI HPSS32 installed, I think today, but it's a half mile away from two other HPSS32 units, and I wondered if that new siren will be useless since the sound travels about a mile away. Anyone know?
it shouldnt be useless even though it is an ATI siren

Justin

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:51 am

holler wrote:Well, I know from personal experience and observations of the local siren it depends on three things (mainly)

1. ambient termperature, humidy, barometric pressure
2. background noise
3. how much crap the sound has to get through before it gets there. Trees really suck it up, and the wind blowing through a pecan tree makes a lot of racket too.
Adding a fourth to that: pitch. Lower pitched sirens (or tones for that matter) travel a lot further than higher pitches.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”