tachi88

Finally got some work done on my T-bolt A

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 pm

After sitting in the back of my truck for almost six months. I finally decided to do some work on the chopper assembly.

Turns out it was a little rustier then I imagined, but the chopper still moves nice and freely so it should be good to go.

I'm assuming I am suppose to connect the wires here.
The brushes look like they need to be replaced.

Any tips for testing? Sorta my first time with electronics/

I would like to preform some tests on the chopper one of these days, when ever I do and it does work, I'll be sure to post a video.

*Video posted* http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... php?t=7723
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 am

Put some new bearings in it.

tachi88

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:03 am

holler wrote:Put some new bearings in it.
Would you know where I could get some?

Or could I use normal bearings I could find at bicycle shop.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 am

Should be either 6202's or 87502's. Pull one out and take it to a bike shop, or an auto parts store.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:46 am

You would probably have to get the bearings at a bearing or machine supply store or easier order them online. I've never found 6202s anywhere but at a bearing supply. Nobody but a bearing supply will have 87502s.
The 87502s are pretty expensive. About $15-18 each. The 6202s are cheap. You can probably run the thing first without putting bearings in it. Just be easy on it and rev it up a little at a time at first. If it's really noisy and sounds "grindy" don't run it up all the way.
You can hook it up to regular 120V wall outlet voltage to check it.
Thunderbolt choppers are made to run on 120-240V.
Just hook a cord to the two brush holders on the bottom. You can put the cord right into the brush holders where the brushes are hanging out. Make sure the wires are secure in there because the motor might twist a little when it powers up. Just plug it into the wall or hook it up to a switch that's plugged into the wall. Give the thing power just for a split second and see if it runs.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:01 pm

CDV777-1 wrote:You would probably have to get the bearings at a bearing or machine supply store or easier order them online. I've never found 6202s anywhere but at a bearing supply. Nobody but a bearing supply will have 87502s.
The 87502s are pretty expensive. About $15-18 each. The 6202s are cheap. You can probably run the thing first without putting bearings in it. Just be easy on it and rev it up a little at a time at first. If it's really noisy and sounds "grindy" don't run it up all the way.
You can hook it up to regular 120V wall outlet voltage to check it.
Thunderbolt choppers are made to run on 120-240V.
Just hook a cord to the two brush holders on the bottom. You can put the cord right into the brush holders where the brushes are hanging out. Make sure the wires are secure in there because the motor might twist a little when it powers up. Just plug it into the wall or hook it up to a switch that's plugged into the wall. Give the thing power just for a split second and see if it runs.
NAPA carries 87502's, since they are alternator bearings. 6202's can be found at lowes and most hardware stores.

tachi88

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:31 pm

holler wrote: NAPA carries 87502's, since they are alternator bearings. 6202's can be found at lowes and most hardware stores.

So how do you replace the bearings.

I have somewhat of an idea myself but I am afraid of screwing up the whole motor.

1000Bthunderbolt

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:23 am

tachi88 wrote:
holler wrote: NAPA carries 87502's, since they are alternator bearings. 6202's can be found at lowes and most hardware stores.

So how do you replace the bearings.

I have somewhat of an idea myself but I am afraid of screwing up the whole motor.
They are pretty simple. The top has a nut that spins off. Use a wrench to take the nut off. Then just use a small hammer and a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer it out with care on the underside of the bearing closest to the shaft. it is just pressed on there. No need the beat the thing up because you don't want to mark up the shaft that the bearings slide onto. Your replacing the bearings anyways so I wouldn't be to worried about damaging the old bearing. The bottom bearing comes off the same way, there is no nut on the bottom. Last I checked there wasn't.

tachi88

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:15 am

1000Bthunderbolt wrote:
They are pretty simple. The top has a nut that spins off. Use a wrench to take the nut off. Then just use a small hammer and a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer it out with care on the underside of the bearing closest to the shaft. it is just pressed on there. No need the beat the thing up because you don't want to mark up the shaft that the bearings slide onto. Your replacing the bearings anyways so I wouldn't be to worried about damaging the old bearing. The bottom bearing comes off the same way, there is no nut on the bottom. Last I checked there wasn't.
How do i get to the bearings? Do I have to take the chopper completely apart?

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:31 pm

the top bearing you will have to remove the stator cover, and you'll see it right on top of the chopper, You will have to pull out the chopper to get to the bottom as it's right at the end of the shaft, which is very easy to do.

All you need to do is, with the stator removed, remove the chopper brushes or you won't get too far, probably wouldn't hurt to remove the slip ring brushes as well to avoid damaging them, but it's not nessessary to do so. Than take a small crow bar or even the claw end of a hammer, and gently pry up from underneth the chopper. You may want to have something or even someone holding the chopper motor in place so you can get good leverage. The whole chopper, shaft, and armature will pop up a bit, than you can just pull everything out by hand. It may take a few tries if it's been sitting for a while, but it shouldn't take too long.

than when it's time to put everything back into the motor you can simply push it in and line it up by hand.
Proud owner of a 2T, 5, M-5, 1000 Head, 7T, 3T22, and a single toned 2

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”