kswx29

Silent Testing

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:05 am

Does anyone know any communities who test only silent? According to a story published in the Topeka Newspaper, the new system will have new features such as silent tests "which allows the department to perform silent tests. That means county residents within earshot won't hear the sound of wailing sirens and blaring horns during routine system tests." I sure hope this doesn't mean they won't be actually sounding them during tests.

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2010-03- ... ing_system
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

MattDean1003

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:46 am

As big of a college town (UGA) as Athens is, they silent test their system of 2001's. The only time the sirens are physically sounded is for the one minute statewide tornado drill. The EMA director doesn't want people getting used to the sound. But, how can you know if the sirens actually work and not just rotate?

The sirens do rotate for one to three minutes, I was told. But, Athens is a big city. Lots of annual college kids from all across the United States. How will they KNOW the sound if they don't hear it? Numerous people have told me they thought the sirens were just fire trucks.
James M. Dean

siren_face2000

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:07 pm

Our city (Champaign, IL) does silent tests for the FS 2001's we have.

Jpressman8

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 pm

I think the silent testing just tests com equipment and rotators (if equipped) on the mechanical sirens. I'm sure that the electronic sirens are different they probably test everything but the drivers. I don't think it would be effective if you have a driver or chopper failure waiting to happen.
five liter V8

r4tbolts

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Silent testing can be blamed in most cases on siren placement. A siren on the pole 30' away from a residential structure is going to receive complaints not to mention making the kids living there hearing impaired.

IMO the best place for warning sirens is on roof of a public building such as a school or Fire Station and not at the end of the cul de sac or curbside infront of a house that is only 30' from the street.

When 2001's were placed about 12 years ago in my area. One siren placement was next to a house and Church when a 20 acre School Complex was 4 blocks away. It didn't take long for that siren to make the silent testing list.

I am like most here and love to hear the sirens wind up on test day but for what it's worth silent testing is better than no sirens at all.

Jpressman8

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 pm

r4tbolts wrote:Silent testing can be blamed in most cases on siren placement. A siren on the pole 30' away from a residential structure is going to receive complaints not to mention making the kids living there hearing impaired.

IMO the best place for warning sirens is on roof of a public building such as a school or Fire Station and not at the end of the cul de sac or curbside infront of a house that is only 30' from the street.

When 2001's were placed about 12 years ago in my area. One siren placement was next to a house and Church when a 20 acre School Complex was 4 blocks away. It didn't take long for that siren to make the silent testing list.

I am like most here and love to hear the sirens wind up on test day but for what it's worth silent testing is better than no sirens at all.
We had a case here in Cincy back in April 09 a new T-128 was installed near the Church (50')replacing an Allertor that was mounted much farther from the church (200'). The pastor of the church got upset about the placement and knocked it down with a bobcat. Of course he had to pay for it.
five liter V8

va_nuke_pe

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 am

"Eight sirens at the county's largest public areas will have amplified voice message and public address capabilities..."
Silent testing for electronics can include the entire circuit up to and including the speaker-drivers - many electronic speaker-drivers can operate at 20,000 Hz - especially those that are voice capable. 20 kHz is inaudible to people, maybe annoy a nearby dog or two, and will allow the asmplifier output and the speaker-driver impedance to be measured. Typically, when such silent testing occurs, you can hear a "pop" from the horn.
Silent testing for rotating electro-mechanical devices like the FS2001 (that have a separate rotator motor from the chopper motor) includes operating the rotation motor. Won't tell you anything about the chopper motor. You need at least a growl test to do that.

Alasiren1977

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Montgomery, AL tests their Whelen's silently once a week, but audibly once a month.

Whelen Rules

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:44 am

Alasiren1977 wrote:Montgomery, AL tests their Whelen's silently once a week, but audibly once a month.
Same way here Tullahoma generally silent tests them twice a week, more so during tornado season and audibly once a month weather permitting.
Tyler Lund

jshelby861

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 pm

I wish that Montgomery Al. still used the T.bolts and T.beams! they are just sitting there all alone wasting away.
sorry to go off topic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”