ruralchief

Duluth, MN Sirens

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:28 am

During Memorial Day weekend, I made a visit to Duluth, MN. From the last time I had been there, I noticed that Whelen sirens were installed throughout the city.

When I went to college in Duluth in the early 1990's, the siren system was 5 hp. Federal sirens placed throughout the city, mostly on the roofs of school buildings (Denfeld High School, etc.).

Anyhow, in my tour of the city this last weekend, I noticed that the 5 hp sirens were still mounted on the roofs of several school buildings. I do not know if the old 5 hp system was abandoned or not. One school still had the 5 hp. siren on the roof, even though a new whelen siren was on a pole in the schoolyard.

I do not know how many sirens are installed in Duluth. I put 80 miles on my vehicle driving around the city. The city is spread out along the hillside and a portion of the city is above the hill.

Since several new schools are being replaced (Denfeld, McCarthur, etc.), I assume the old 5 hp sirens would be removed when the old buildings are demolished.

Anyone else have any further info on Duluth, MN sirens?

TheMNsirenGuy

Duluth, MN sirens

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 am

Hi there! Sorry to revive such an old topic, but I live in Duluth, MN, so I can help.

Duluth used to have 36 Model 2 sirens scattered throughout the city, installed in I believe the mid 1950's. As of 2007, some were showing their age, so Duluth had ATI, Whelen, and ASC test their sirens throughout the city to see which one they like. Whelen got the contract, and throughout 2008-2009, 32 sirens, some Vortexes and some 2910's where installed throughout the city, and the Model 2's were officially retired and removed in 2010. I do know of one Model 2 that still stands (though unoperational) in the Lincoln Park area. One of these days I'll contact the city about possibly obtaining it.

Hope this answers your question!

Joey

ruralchief

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 am

Thank you for the update and information behind the changes.

I know they had alot of Model 2's throughout the city. Some were on the schools (Denfeld High School, etc.).

Lurrch

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:14 pm

interesting, Ashland WI (about 60 miles east on HWY 2) does not have any sirens (as of when we left in 2007).

Daniel

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:44 pm

I'd love to hear a recording of a system of multiple Model 2's.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

TheMNsirenGuy

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 am

Lurrch wrote:interesting, Ashland WI (about 60 miles east on HWY 2) does not have any sirens (as of when we left in 2007).
Really? Last time I was there (winter 2011), I saw a couple Model 5/7s there.

TheMNsirenGuy

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:31 am

Daniel wrote:I'd love to hear a recording of a system of multiple Model 2's.
Oh yeah, trust me, multiple Model 2 ambiance is one of the most eerie sounds the human ear is capable of hearing. So haunting... and creepy. :shock:

Lurrch

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:25 pm

If Ashland had sirens, I never heard them go off in the 8 years I lived there.

ruralchief

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 am

[quote="Daniel"]I'd love to hear a recording of a system of multiple Model 2's.[/quote]

Believe me, I have. When I lived in Duluth at that time, there was a certain day of the month that the sirens were tested.

Of course, I would listen for the sirens to sound around that time. :D

BTW: I am still trying to remember if the sirens were activated around 1992, when a chemical spill (Benzene from railroad car(?)) happened on the Superior, Wi. side. Large portions of Duluth were evacuated for that incident.

TheMNsirenGuy

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:50 am

ruralchief wrote:
Daniel wrote:I'd love to hear a recording of a system of multiple Model 2's.
Believe me, I have. When I lived in Duluth at that time, there was a certain day of the month that the sirens were tested.

Of course, I would listen for the sirens to sound around that time. :D

BTW: I am still trying to remember if the sirens were activated around 1992, when a chemical spill (Benzene from railroad car(?)) happened on the Superior, Wi. side. Large portions of Duluth were evacuated for that incident.
My dad and my grandpa both tell me the sirens were, in fact, activated for that incident (and so was Superior's elusive Model 5 i've yet to photograph).

As for testing, they sounded the first Wednesday of every month at 1:00PM

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”