Siren Man

Just scored an STH-10B

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:34 am

Courtesy of SirenTech, I have an STH-10B sitting in my garage. My first ever legit air raid siren. I got lucky because he needed to go to a warehouse anyways about 10 minutes from my home, so we used that opportunity to make the pickup easy. It looks like it was taken down at some point and refurbished because it's been repainted gray over the original CD yellow paint.

After about 3 hours since getting it home, its sitting de-horned and with the intake off. There are a TON of bolts and fasteners keeping those horns on! 2 sets of bolts for each horn, and spacers in between each of them. I'll get the rotor and stator off the motor once my bolt puller comes in the mail.

And lord almighty are these suckers heavy. It's a LOT heavier and somewhat bigger than I anticipated. It took 4 guys to lift it out of the bed and get it on the ground.

I'm just glad the ordeal is over :)

Pictures soon to come!
Have: A-4 Vibratone bell, Model 60 klaxon.

ginbot86

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:52 am

That's great! I'm looking forward to the pictures.
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:11 am

Congrats! I remember getting my first "legit" siren xD Its in like seven different places around my house right now :lol:
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

Siren Man

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 am

I couldn't get a clear shot of the motor tag, I'll type what it says below.

PHASE: 1
VOLTS: 240
HZ: 60
DUTY CYCLE: 15 min
CODE: D (what is this???)
HP: 7-1/2
RPM: 3300
FL AMPS: 56
MODEL: STH10B
SERIAL NO: 0009734P81

Siren Man

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 am

I am pretty sure this siren was fixed up at one point, because the mechanical fasteners seemed pretty new. They weren't very rusty at all and came out fine.
Last edited by Siren Man on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:46 am

Good job on scoring a single phase sth-10!
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

dilloncarpenter

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:05 am

Nice, man! I think if you take off that bolt on top of the motor, shown in the second pic, you can probably flip the assembly over and have it sit down on the motor so you can wind it up with a drill until you can get it hooked up, if that's what you plan on doing.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Congrats on getting the new siren! The feeling of getting a new siren is like the feeling of getting something super important like a car or something, huh. That motor looks in excellent condition (the one on my SD10 is just rust in the shape of a motor :lol: ) Do you plan to do a 120V test or a 240V test or is the motor dead? If not, I can't wait to hear a drill run up of it! Have you decided what color you are going to paint her?
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Congrats! Getting a siren alone is pretty hard, let alone a single phase one!
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Siren Man

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 pm

videogamer wrote:Congrats on getting the new siren! The feeling of getting a new siren is like the feeling of getting something super important like a car or something, huh. That motor looks in excellent condition (the one on my SD10 is just rust in the shape of a motor :lol: ) Do you plan to do a 120V test or a 240V test or is the motor dead? If not, I can't wait to hear a drill run up of it! Have you decided what color you are going to paint her?
It feels like getting something that's contraband. You know its not illegal to have but using it can get you in trouble. I don't really know how to describe it.

I don't know how I'm going to test it. There aren't any wires coming out of the box, but it looks like they've been scrunched up inside. Drill running an STH would be hard, but I might give it a try over the weekend with it flipped on its side. I tried using an air compressor to get it to spin up like charlie did, but it didn't do hardly anything. I later found out that you can't do that with single phase sirens since the brushes create just enough friction.

I don't think I'm going to paint it anytime soon except for a few touch ups where both the yellow and gray paint have come off leaving bare metal. The siren cleaned up really well with a spray bottle of soapy water and a rag, it's in no need for a chemical stripping.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”