1000Bthunderbolt

Massachusetts Siren Roadtrip

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 am

Well My girlfriend that I have loves tornado/ air raid sirens just like I do. We went on a roadtrip in central Massachusetts today and started from the city of worcester where she lives at the moment. I am sorry if there was an old post about sirens in my state but I could not find it. If I recall there was some poeple that were unsure about the thunderbolt siren in Brookfield. Well there is no siren in Brookfield. I found a model 5 in West Brookfield. We went to North brookfield and if you were not looking in the right area you would have missed it. My girlfriend spotted the 1003 that I have been looking for and I am sure other poeple were wondering where it was as well. The poor girl has seen better days. Missing a solenoid cover and has a big wrot hole in the side of here. I have no clue if she is still operational. I would guess yes because its a very small town and the only Fire Dept. there. I will include pictures of it as well. I also have some pictures of some model 2 sirens in Millbury. We just found out about 10 minutes ago that Grafton has 2 or 3 Thunderbolt 1003's and they are still active with the Fire Dept. in that town. She will have pictures for me on them in a few days. I am suprised nobody has any vidoes of them on youtube yet. Well enjoy the pictures I have and I will have more soon.

500AT

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 am

Now there is a Thunderbolt that needs a complete overhaul. Next time you get the chance, a road trip down on the South Coast area around Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod would be very interesting. I've never seen any sirens in that area when I was there.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

1000Bthunderbolt

Grafton,MA 1003

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 am

The girlfriend took these yesterday. This is the active Thunderbolt 1003 that is on the Fire Dept. in the center of town of Grafton on Route 140.She is in excellent shape for her age.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 am

Man, someone needs to whip out the duct tape on that Thunderbolt horn. :P

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 pm

That has to be the zaniest Thunderbolt mounting I have ever seen.
How there can be a hole that size in a steel horn like that amazes me.
Just to cut a hole like that with a torch would take some time.
It's not like those horns are flimsy sheetmetal. I can't even imagine
what would have caused that.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:24 pm

CDV777-1 wrote:That has to be the zaniest Thunderbolt mounting I have ever seen.
If I'm not mistaken, Adam Smith took some pics of that 1003 several years ago. He said if this is the same one, someone took a shot at it, trying to silence it their way and ended up blasting that hole in the horn.
Proud owner of a 2T, 5, M-5, 1000 Head, 7T, 3T22, and a single toned 2

TBOLT1000

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:35 am

in case anybody is wondering, the 1003 in brookfield is no longer active. did you find out if they test the 3 1003`s in grafton?
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

TBOLT1000

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 am

500AT wrote:Now there is a Thunderbolt that needs a complete overhaul. Next time you get the chance, a road trip down on the South Coast area around Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod would be very interesting. I've never seen any sirens in that area when I was there.
I just went a month ago, there is a 1003 on the PD in orleans, a model 5/7 on the city hall in provincetown, a rusty and rotted model 2 and a very nice looking old federal model 5 in chatham, and 2 sterlings on fire stations # 2 and 3 in sandwich.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 am

Very interesting blower setup! It sucks about the condition of the head. I wonder if because of the setup of the blower pipe that there could be a reduction in output, I wouldn't think it would but it could if the pipe/tube is forced to bend around things.
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

r4tbolts

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:15 am

CDV777-1 wrote:That has to be the zaniest Thunderbolt mounting I have ever seen.
Sadly in many communities the T-bolts and other warning sirens have less of a priority than a fresh supply of toilet paper in the porta-potty at the local walking trail.

The hole is the there because no politicians in that communtiy gave a tinker's dam to fix gapping hole in the horn when it first appeared. Probably another reverse 911 community LOL.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”