uncommonsense

Oops...

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Phone glitch set off sirens

By Darcy Gray - The Hutchinson News - [email protected]

When multiple tornado sirens in and around Hutchinson began sounding at intermittent times a couple of weeks ago, some local residents were confused, even panicked. It took several days for area officials to learn it was actually residents who had accidentally sounded the sirens.

"The tornado sirens are set off by phone numbers," explained Mary Messamore, director of emergency communications for Hutchinson and Reno County. "Each tornado siren is assigned a secure phone number, and there are only three specific phones in the city that can be used to call and set off the sirens."

In the last week of August and the first days of September, AT&T's secure phone system controlling the sirens was affected by a "software glitch" that has since been fixed, according to Messamore. During that time, the phone lines for each of the sirens were no longer secure, she said.

"The lines were opened up, so anyone who dialed those specific numbers could set off the tornado sirens," Messamore said.

Officials think people accidentally calling a wrong number - the phone numbers assigned to the sirens were local numbers - set off the sirens, she said.

"The way the system is set up, the first ring means the siren will go off for one minute, the second ring means the siren will go off for two minutes, and so on ... ," Messamore said. "People were probably misdialing, and they would hear the phone keep ringing and ringing before they'd finally hang up."

The system is also set up so that city officials testing the tornado sirens can call just one phone number to set off all of them, she said.

"Thank God no one misdialed the number for all (the sirens)," Messamore said.

Steve Garza, the city's lead traffic signal technician and electrician, is in charge of working on the sirens and acknowledged the phone lines "trigger the equipment inside the siren itself." He said tornado sirens sounded in the Highlands neighborhood, at 11th and Plum, on Illinois Street in South Hutchinson, and at 23rd and Waldron near the hospital.

"It became a dangerous situation for people in the hospital who didn't know what was going on," he said. At first, officials suspected there was water on the phone lines or even ants, which have caused the sirens to unexpectedly sound in the past, Garza said.

"I was kind of chasing a ghost," he said. "The sirens would go off and they'd send me out to check the lines and things would be fine. "It was driving me crazy and it took a couple of weeks to figure out."

Garza said he used his own phone to call and "see if the system had been breached." That's when he realized the lines were no longer secure.

"We tested them to make sure they were secure and the first test failed," he said. "The next day we got a hold of the phone company and they finally got it fixed. A programmer fixed it."

Now, there are new, secure phone numbers assigned to the sirens. Messamore said AT&T's local resolution center fixed the problem. On Sept. 2, the city ran a final test of the sirens during the day to confirm the system was secure. That was the day city officials announced the sirens sounding at an odd hour was just a test.

"Once we were alerted to the issue, service was restored within 24 hours and at no time was the public at risk," said Marisa Giller, an AT&T spokesperson based in St. Louis. "We apologize if this caused alarm in the community."

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Wow, I fiigured they would be using radio activation with those.

We use Viking rc-3 dtmf controllers to activate the sirens down here. Its far from perfect and its a pain having to remind each city council on the proper way to set them off.

t-bolt82

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:08 am

well, an amusing and entertaining story indeed! :lol:

is there a link to where this artical originated??
Viva la Thunderbolt!

uncommonsense

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:10 am

t-bolt82 wrote:well, an amusing and entertaining story indeed! :lol:

Oops...meant to post that. Sorta forgot....:oops:

http://www.hutchnews.com/Todaystop/sire ... 8T21-48-36

kswx29

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:19 am

It's always nice to see an acticle close to home. Hutchinson and the rest of Reno County does have some old Thunderbolts...but they do have some 2001s.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:24 am

AT&T eh? Glitches, service failures and overpriced services is their middle name. Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

t-bolt82

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:33 am

uncommonsense wrote:
t-bolt82 wrote:well, an amusing and entertaining story indeed! :lol:
Oops...meant to post that. Sorta forgot....:oops:
http://www.hutchnews.com/Todaystop/sire ... 8T21-48-36

no need for apologies. ;) just wanted to see the original article. thanks much for it! :)
Viva la Thunderbolt!

Justin

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:58 am

uncommonsense

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 am

Justin wrote:Engadget got wind of this too.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/26/phon ... ms-by-mis/
Engadget is where I found the source article. Actually, even before that, it was all over the radio (don't remember what I was listening to) on some sort of national news feed. This made headlines nationwide!

kswx29

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:08 am

uncommonsense wrote:Actually, even before that, it was all over the radio (don't remember what I was listening to) on some sort of national news feed. This made headlines nationwide!
Where the heck was i?! Lol Hutchinson is like 70 or so miles down the turnpike from me and our local news station almost always is talking about Wichita some how. Thanks for sharing though!
Charlie Davidson wrote:AT&T eh? Glitches, service failures and overpriced services is their middle name. Doesn't surprise me one bit.
I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately,they are Kansas' main phone provider. We recently went from Cox Communications to AT&T U-Verse (Phone, Internet, and TV) because Cox believe it or not was kind of crappy service and kind of pricey. It took a good 2-3 weeks to fix all the kinks out of the lines and system before we got our services to work perfect now.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”