Mathew Bailey

Using sirens to notify of Santa's arrival in your area?

Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:59 am

This is a Christmas Eve topic since tonight is Christmas Eve.
Because most people now are tracking Santa as I speak, I have an idea of sounding the sirens of a short interval or short blast or in some way to announce that Santa is about to arrive in your area along with an announcement that sirens will be used to signal that he is about to arrive in your area.

Jim Z

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:20 am

er, the kids are supposed to be asleep when "santa" visits. Why wake them up? :p

Jpressman8

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:32 am

Being that my Daughter likes sirens as much as I do. She would want to get my model A out and wind it up. That would not be a good idea. Well at my house anyway. :lol:
five liter V8

landmobile

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:05 am

It doesn't exactly apply to Santa's arrival Christmas eve, but I recently learned of a very interesting (and somewhat similar) use of sirens years ago in Springfield, NJ. Before the days of the Internet and school closing numbers on the radio, if the kids in Springfield heard the sirens sounding on a snowy morning it meant the schools were closed and they had the day off.

This topic might have already been discussed, but it brings up an interesting question: what have communities used their sirens for other than civil defense, severe weather and fires?
Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Quite honestly, I am not really enthused about using sirens for anything other than very serious emergency alerts in order to prevent confusion and increased apathy in the public.

Midwest City once used their former system of Allertors to signal the start of a parade of all things.
Raymond D. Woods, Jr.
Owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren. :TBolt:

t-bolt82

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:05 pm

I can understand the snow emergencies as a use for sirens - Whelen has a voice recording for them: Winter Weather Warning, Winter Weather Warning, Take emergency precautions immediately, Take emergency precautions immediately. Im pretty sure FS has them, as well, but I couldnt find the link to their sound file clips on the site. However, using sirens for things like the beginning of a parade is just ignorant. Especially, if this note from wikipedia is true, it's an example of using sirens stupidly:

In 1959, Chicago Fire Commissioner Robert J. Quinn ordered his fire chief to sound the city's fire alert sirens (all Thunderbolts at the time) at the moment the White Sox won the pennant, prompting many unaware citizens to be alarmed of an air raid or nuclear attack.
Viva la Thunderbolt!

Fireman61341

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:35 pm

woodyrr wrote: Midwest City once used their former system of Allertors to signal the start of a parade of all things.
I was at a parade in a nearby town about 10 years ago and they did that. It was my first encounter with a P-50, and I was about 150 ft away :shock:

Jpressman8

Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Fireman61341 wrote:
woodyrr wrote: Midwest City once used their former system of Allertors to signal the start of a parade of all things.
I was at a parade in a nearby town about 10 years ago and they did that. It was my first encounter with a P-50, and I was about 150 ft away :shock:
That'll get your attention real quick. :lol:
five liter V8

coop866

Re: Using sirens to notify of Santa's arrival in your area?

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:44 am

Mathew Bailey wrote:This is a Christmas Eve topic since tonight is Christmas Eve.
Because most people now are tracking Santa as I speak, I have an idea of sounding the sirens of a short interval or short blast or in some way to announce that Santa is about to arrive in your area along with an announcement that sirens will be used to signal that he is about to arrive in your area.
Really? :roll:

hen7713

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 am

t-bolt82 wrote:
In 1959, Chicago Fire Commissioner Robert J. Quinn ordered his fire chief to sound the city's fire alert sirens (all Thunderbolts at the time) at the moment the White Sox won the pennant, prompting many unaware citizens to be alarmed of an air raid or nuclear attack.
Didn't Chicago do this again for the 2006 world series?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”