thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Federal Signal 7T Ambiance

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:15 pm

This is just a nice example of how terrible the coverage is in my town. I used the noise removal tool in Audacity to get rid of some of the wind noise but I couldn't get rid of all of it. If I ever get myself a siren I'll have to see if I can use it to add coverage. We barely get any siren-worthy severe weather around here though. This is a recording of a 6pm blast. The siren itself is very healthy and the fire department that owns it does a great job maintaining it. The wind-down is a little fast though. I'll get a close-up recording some time this week.

Image[/img]
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

PhRed

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:13 am

That has to be at least two miles away.......not good coverage-wise indeed.
Your using Audacity for noise reduction makes for a great recording. The coastdown IMO really isn't out of the usual for this model. I've heard similar ones.

thewoog34

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 am

PhRed wrote:That has to be at least two miles away.......not good coverage-wise indeed.
Your using Audacity for noise reduction makes for a great recording. The coastdown IMO really isn't out of the usual for this model. I've heard similar ones.
Yes, it is about 2 and a half miles away. Almost 4 miles of driving. I've got to work late today but tomorrow I should be able to get a good close-up recording.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:53 pm

The rotor on the sd-10/7t is relatively light compared to the rotor on a screamer or single tone 5. Every SD-10 I've heard winds down pretty fast.

thewoog34

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:19 pm

holler wrote:The rotor on the sd-10/7t is relatively light compared to the rotor on a screamer or single tone 5. Every SD-10 I've heard winds down pretty fast.
Yeah, a 5 with good bearings will coast down forever cause of the cast iron rotor. I saw the video where you wound up a Model 5 (or 7) by hand and it still took forever to wind down.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:18 pm

7T/SD-10 sirens aren't really outstanding performers. Yes they sound awesome but performance wise they aren't very good at all. 108DB is the high water mark for that rotor/stator combination.

However, the same parts shoved into a 500AT makes for a decent siren.

Notre.Dame1003

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:40 pm

We had a TON of 5Ts up until 1999. They always did attack during warnings. Some of the poles are still up, but all of the sirens are gone. I wonder where they all went.
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

thewoog34

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:47 pm

I completely agree. The shrouds that direct the sound downwards don't exactly help either. I love a 3/4 tone ratio though. Omnidirectionals are better for fire depts cause they can provide coverage in all directions 100% of the time, which according to my local police chief means that more cars and pedestrians can be warned that fire engines are about to be on the roads and it can call firemen in all directions quicker. Not to mention my town isn't very big...they could go for a more powerful siren though. I'd love to take this one if it's ever taken down (or buy it) and use it to cover my part of town better then they could get a Sentry 10V or something along those lines, which is just big enough to cover the rest of town. I'll get a recording with MUCH less wind in about 10 minutes when they do a 6 pm blast again. I'll get a closeup recording tomorrow.

thewoog34

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Alright, I just recorded the 6 PM blast again. This one can give you a better example of how healthy sounding this siren is. I can't wait to record this thing up close. Here you go.

Return to “Videos and Media”