4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Re: News 4 Defenders expose siren problem in Huron Township

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:37 am

This is ridiculous. In my opinion, it's natural selection. It could've been placed in anyone's yard, it just happened to be theirs. They should get over it, and they should remember how much they complained when they are the ones walking safely out of their house after a tornado. Just saying.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

justie1220
YouTube Username: Justin Lynch

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:36 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I'd have one put in my backyard in a heartbeat. :lol:
According to my signature ive been 16 years old for the past two years.Apparently i have found the Fountain of Youth :lol:

Unit of Civil Defense

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:10 pm

...I would be curious to see if there is any perceived real estate value difference between having a siren next door to your home/property verses not......think living in suburbia where every house is Beige :roll: in this subdivision and the next subdivision over has the same Beige houses..only difference is there is a strip mall located right in the middle of it with older stores from the 70's including a hock shop and a pay day loan shark place. The homes located near the older strip mall would be valued less than the other ones due to aesthetic value....they have to look at everything that is that strip mall where as the other sub division residence look at nothing but a sea of Beige homes in suburbia.

My house has a fire hydrant next door, West (more or less in front of my neighbors house)...we have some sort of a higher rating insurance wise than the houses to our East ( farther away from the hydrant)...in this case a higher rating is a good thing......I wonder if some how the same would apply with having a siren in your yard.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's , we had a Thunderbolt 50-60 yards away from the house.....today, I would have to stand outside in the yard to hear one clearly where I live now :thdown: .
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

justie1220
YouTube Username: Justin Lynch

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 pm

The way I see things as a teenager in today's society, certain people (definitely not saying everyone) seem to need a reason to complain about everything that doesn't benefit them in some way... Like 4J25 said, be thankful you even have the technology and an advanced warning at all instead of throwing a childish fit that it's placed in your yard... or think/plan ahead of the benefits of having it there bring to you..
According to my signature ive been 16 years old for the past two years.Apparently i have found the Fountain of Youth :lol:

Unit of Civil Defense

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:35 pm

..... I would not mind at all a siren located in my yard...neither would my wife. Some people tend to forget about city/county easement as it relates to infrastructure....the siren placed on city/county easement that butts right up against your property line is there by their choice on what to do on their property. I still have to mow and tend to the first 6 feet of my front yard even though, technically, it is on the city right of way......I had a fence installed on the back property 1 ft. into my property showing where the city easement and my property are according to a survey team that I hired to come out and locate everything during the time the city was installing a new sanitary sewer system in the city ease way a couple of years ago...seems there was a slight difference from where I thought the old property line was and the new line...no big deal. I mow the city easement behind my yard since the city doesn't want to do so and I cant stand the thought of it turning into dense vegetation reducing the property value of my home.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Sirenguy02

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:31 pm

My house is located nearly 500-1000 feet away from a siren. I will admit that my family and I were upset when the siren was first installed, but the siren being installed there got me into the hobby. After 5 or so years of that siren being there, I am most certainly glad it is there as it does warn me and my family. I have a feeling these people will most certainly feel the same once a tornado threat does occur in their area.
~Mitchell Tsokatos
Owner of a P-10 and Model L

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”