The Owl

Have To Hear This, Very Odd Sounding Sirens in Italy

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aQdBk71aNQ&search=Siren

What could these particular noisemakers be?
Hooo Hooooooo

Ola

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Don?t know the type of siren but almost every ambulanses in Italy sounds that way. It?s electronic anyway.
Ola

Whelen Rules

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:42 pm

this appears to be some kind of mechanical horn with solinoids mabe? it sure sounds wierd though. I believe this has been brought up before.
Tyler Lund

SirenMadness

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:58 pm

It's probably a siren with about six ports, along with an air-horn.
~ Peter Radanovic

Daniel

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:29 pm

It is probably the local version of the compressor-powered German Martinshorn, tuned to a 6th interval rather than a perfect 4th, with one valve stuck open. I would think that the low tone would ordinarily alternate with the high tone. Sirens like this were once standard throughout Europe, but in the last decade, American-style electronic sirens have become common in places like the UK, Ireland, and Russia, as well as other types of electronic three-tone (high-mid-high-low) sirens becoming popular in places like the Netherlands. Some air horn sirens had different patterns like "low-high-low..........."low-high-low", which is common on French ambulances, or the quick "hi-looooooow-hi-lo-hi-lo-hi-lo," which was used in Eastern Europe. There was even an electronic siren unique to the former East Germany, having a high-low sound in which the siren rose to the high note and fell to the low note at the same rate as a regular high-low siren, but with a weird, gliding portamento effect.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:15 am

The problem with the ambulance hypothesis is that it seems clear to me that the sound source isn't moving, and it's awful loud for an ambulance.

Ola

Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:49 pm

I have seen them live in Italy when i were there last year, so i know in fact that it is an ambulance.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”