Kentuckysirens
YouTube Username: Sirensofcincinnati

Re: Downtown Wilmington, Ohio 2001-DC Replaced

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:11 pm

The Sentries are a mixture of age. The one near the apartment building and near the equestrian center appear to be older 90s models, so I doubt they'll be replaced if they're still up. Clinton Massie appears to be a newer, mid 2000s unit. As far as the fate of the 2001, I'm going to send some texts when I get home from school.I know some people in the area who want a siren to install. If it works out, you'll probably see it up on a pole again, screaming away on first saturdays. ;)

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 pm

I just so happened to record its final test. I wasn't originally planning on recording last months test, but I figured I would pull my phone out and take a short video of it. I'm happy I did because that was the last time it tested before removal. Sorry that the video is in vertical orientation and that I didn't capture the wind-up, I wasn't planning originally to upload this on YouTube. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmLhNeDfnc
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Kentuckysirens wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:11 pm
The Sentries are a mixture of age. The one near the apartment building and near the equestrian center appear to be older 90s models, so I doubt they'll be replaced if they're still up. Clinton Massie appears to be a newer, mid 2000s unit. As far as the fate of the 2001, I'm going to send some texts when I get home from school.I know some people in the area who want a siren to install. If it works out, you'll probably see it up on a pole again, screaming away on first saturdays. ;)
That would be awesome if the 2001 was reinstalled. :D

Like I said in the first post, I sent an email to the police department and they haven't responded. A few years ago, I was invited to the dispatch center by the police chief Duane Weyand to see the sirens get set off. He was friendly and inviting about it. The women in the dispatch center, on the other hand... they were snobby. They acted like they would have loved it if I was not there. The chief was not present at the time I went to the dispatch center to watch the test. I got there early as suggested by the chief, and the woman there said, "It's literally just the press of a button. Come back later." So I came back later and they let me in. When noon came around, they casually made an announcement over the radio and pressed the "Test" call key on the controller (seen below) and pressed SEND. A couple of minutes went by and we heard nothing. It turned out that the antenna on the roof was damaged and the signal was not sent to the sirens to activate. Such a fail. Even though they failed that time, I was never invited back again to see them actually set them off. I did get an incomplete map of the siren system and pic of the controller (which the women were very sensitive over.) So yeah. That's my experience with the dispatch department. I doubt they'll reply to my email. If anyone wants to call them about it, go ahead.

The controller:
100_5645.JPG
100_5645.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 4043 times
The map:
100_5647.JPG
100_5647.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 4043 times
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Dang, that 2001 was manufactured in April of 1992 and it's already getting replaced? Seems like a big waste of money to me. That or either someone decided to persuade them that the 2001 was ready to pop at any moment. That's also quite a performance decrease too.

What a shame...
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 pm

The tag says 2001-SRN because this siren IS a 2001-SRN. All 2001s before the SRNB are technically SRNs. The DC tag on the rotator just indicates that it utilizes a DC motor.
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

Reedsiren1

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:27 pm

I went to Clarksville this morning to catch one of the Thunderbeams for the monthly test. I decided to watch the one near the water tower since there are a couple of videos of the other Beam on YouTube. Unfortunately the Beam I chose apparently doesn’t work, so I quickly drove across town(without speeding) to catch the rest of the test with the other Beam which was working. I was quite impressed with how loud it was, being parked across the street at the post office. Just curious, has anyone reported the broken Thunderbeam?

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Bump, but for a legit question. Why does the rotator base say '2001-DC', but the tag say '2001-SRN'?
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:27 pm

It has DC motors. Early in the 2001's series when you requested an AC only 2001 they would actually ship you a 2001 with AC motors. The chopper motor would be a repulsion induction motor like the one in a single phase Model 3 and a single phase induction motor in the rotator box like a newer Thunderbolt. Not too far into the series's production they stopped shipping strictly AC only models for AC orders and started shipping 2001-DC's with a rectifier without the battery box. Not too many of them were made, since everyone was hopping on the battery backup band wagon. The Thunderbolt and, if I'm not mistaken, the Thunderbeam were still being sold at the time when these 2001s were being made, so that might have also factored into that a little. I haven't seen any pictures of them in the wild. I think they all were rounded backed SRNs.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Apparently, the Wilmington Police Communications must've upgraded the activation controller for more modern technology. Now, the sirens will be activated automatically if a tornado warning is issued for Clinton County. They are also now using the Whelen airhorn signal on their sirens during the testing. On the Statewide Tornado Drill, I heard it and thought, "What the heck is going on? They've never done that before." The Wilmington News Journal has released an article about this:
http://www.wnewsj.com/news/68147/wilmin ... -heres-why
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Wow, nice find on that article! I know where I'm going tomorrow...
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”