whelenmike

New Member / New Videos on Youtube of T Bolt 1003

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:31 pm

Hey everyone my name is Mike and Im new to this board.

A little bit about me:

Im from Southeast MI and I work as a Bus Driver / church organist. Naturally liking music, I have always had an interest in Sirens and Steam Ship Horns. I have a few Steam Horn Recordings on my youtube account. I used the user name "WhelenMike" here not because I am a fan of Whelens electronic sirens, but here in Dearborn they installed some old Whelen 2700s or 2800s, not sure which back in 1989 or 1990 so those were the FIRST sirens I really remember "seeing" up close when I was 5. They also have the familiar "Whoop" alert that is used so I have always paid attetion to them and yea ,... kind liked them. (T bolts are better)

I posted that Youtube video of the Terrible 1000 in Plymouth, MI and I was suprised how much response that got! I did not know so many ppl appreciated the old Thunderbolts. Here is a video I took today. One was on the same "cheap camera" and the other was on a better Fuji S5200. There are 2 views of Melvindale, MI 's 1003 (? I think its a 1003) sounding the Weekly Test. Saturday August 11th 2007.

Please feel free to critique the videos as I really hope to start posting them on Youtube every month from a differant location.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bl2ySRUYTVU Far (my cheaper camera)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TJgiASFtHg (My friends good camera)

I will have to use the cheaper camera for the next few videos, because the nice couple hundred dollar Nikon I saved up for last Christmas, DIED after only 6 months of use!! So it will be a while before I can replace my temp equipment (and get a warrenty this time). I hope to shoot that old 1000 in Northville as I saw on the city website it is up for replacement in the budget. And again please critique the video... Im assuming I should sacrafice picture over sound and get further from the Siren than last time so that the audio mic can handle it better.

Sorry to be long-winded! Enjoy!

ThunderboltFreak

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Good work, keep it up. :wink: By the way.....WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! :D
Assistant Store Manager at GameStop.

EL1998P71

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03 am

Why do they do weekly tests?

kswx29

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:35 am

EL1998P71 wrote:Why do they do weekly tests?
Why do they test period? To make sure they work...Shawnee County tests weekly...
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

SirenMadness

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:35 am

Great videos, man!

BTW, welcome to the board!
~ Peter Radanovic

whelenmike

Weekly Test

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:53 am

Thanks for the comments. In reguards to an earlier question, I do not know why they test weekly in Melvindale. Perhaps because they are in an industrial area and it is the only Main Siren for the whole town (There are 1 or 2 others both located inside a refinery nearby) so they want to make sure their alert works. I have noticed up North in smaller cities, some sirens go off daily at noon or 6pm. I wonder if thats just a practice of old from yesterday. In SE Michigan most everyone tests the first Saturday of the month at 1300 so it is hard to get around to every siren. Reguardless, no complaints here!

Mike

kswx29

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:38 am

BTW I Love that second video. Surprisingly i am not a big fan of Thunderbolts but that Thunderbolt sounds awesome!

ALSO: Someone with the youtube username "christycg02" has uploaded that video as well. Just letting you know :wink:
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

whelenmike

TBolt Vid

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:38 pm

That youtube user is my friend Robs Girlfriends Youtube. I convinced him to come along and try to shoot the siren with me. Cool.

Return to “Videos and Media”