jkvernon

iForce Overkill!

Sat May 17, 2008 3:20 am

I just got back from Nashville today. My dad and I went to go set up a mission trip with my church for later this year with some guy from Trevecca Nazarene University. Trevecca is actually a sister school with the school I go to, Olivet Nazarene University. While exploring around campus, I found not one, but two American Signal iForce STi-1600s totally on accident and literally only about a football field from each other.

I accidentally left my camera at home so I had to use my camera phone. The first one is on the Adams Administration Building.

Here's a slightly closer shot. They're about as big as you would expect in person. Not too big and not too small.

Here's the other iForce which is on the Greathouse Science Center. It looks like the dome of the telescope blocks one side of the siren but I'm sure it doesn't matter all that much since they have another only a few feet away.

I would have LOVED to have been there for a test. I imagine it's quite the experience.

Here's a link where you can see just how close these things are.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

John in MA

Sat May 17, 2008 3:29 am

Well, you certainly can't fault them for having poor coverage between sirens. I'd think hearing protection might be in order if you spent much time around there during an emergency.

SirenMadness

Sun May 18, 2008 3:44 am

Those iForce sirens really blend in nicely with any surrounding I can think of.
~ Peter Radanovic

djscrizzle

Sun May 18, 2008 4:23 am

I had a close friend that went to T-NU from 2004 till just this may (graduated). She can attest to the coverage, as her dorm was just north of the science building. She heard the iForce in her dorm on 2/5/08... She was scared, but calm since she was alert to the situation unfolding (maybe) directly above her.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun May 18, 2008 6:15 am

Many campus systems aim for indoor coverage as well (or at least to get your attention form inside).

FedTB

Sun May 18, 2008 2:32 pm

Better to have overkill than none at all! :wink:

Missouri-Southeast State in Cape Girardeau is the same way with their Federal Modulators. There's 4 or 5 on their campus and it's not very large.

It's a shame when a college campus has better siren coverage than some cities!

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: iForce Overkill!

Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 am

One of my friends went to TNU a fiew years back, but it was before those sirens were installed. She doesn't ever remember hearing any sirens when she was in Nashville. She went to school there circa 1999-2001.

Does anyone know what the IForce sounds like?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Tannre

Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Well, theres a what looks like an observatory under it. Perhaps this siren is for a toxic gas created in the observatory, or something harmful viewed with it?
Tanner L - Your one of only a handful of siren experts of the Oregon area!

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm

this looks identical to the modulator. did american signal copy federal signal or the other way around or what?
videogamer
Matt Ullman

AllSafe

Mon May 19, 2008 11:15 pm

They did neither. Each was their own design. The Quadrant/iForce is called such because each cell is divided into quadrants and each quadrant has its own compression horn and driver. The Modulator has four drivers in each cell, each dumping all their energy into a 360-degree exponential horn created by the space between each cell.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”