ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Whelen WPS 2805 Air Horn signal, fire alarms, and Federal Q

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:37 pm

This is an interesting video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMua9r54TaI&fmt=18

I've never heard a fire alarm do the signal heard at the beginning of the video.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:51 am

That's quite an old fire alarm still sounding actually. Back when i was a little guy in elementary school, all of those fire alarms sounded like that. Whenever the strobe flashed, it would make the alarm sound like it had a "pinging" sound to it. Just all in the wiring. I don't recall the name of the fire sirens off the top of my head. Those things were absolutely ear deafening.

Nice whelen siren doing air horn signal too! :)
--bc

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:04 am

The fire alarm heard at the beginning is a Wheelock 7002T. What you are hearing is the horn "skip" everytime the strobe flashes. This is do to the strobe being directly wired to the horn contacts and when the strobe flashes, the horn cuts out briefly causing the skipping this and the alarm it replaced, the 7002 are notorious for. You can also hear a System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced screeching in temporal code-3 when the fire officer goes for the knox box.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm

3t22 wrote:The fire alarm heard at the beginning is a Wheelock 7002T. What you are hearing is the horn "skip" everytime the strobe flashes. This is do to the strobe being directly wired to the horn contacts and when the strobe flashes, the horn cuts out briefly causing the skipping this and the alarm it replaced, the 7002 are notorious for. You can also hear a System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced screeching in temporal code-3 when the fire officer goes for the knox box.

Thanks for that helpful info. To me, it also sounds like it could either be a little underpowered, and/or it could be a DC horn connected to an AC to DC converter. I don't know much at all about the Wheelock 7002T, other than what you've told me.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:36 am

ver tum wrote: Thanks for that helpful info. To me, it also sounds like it could either be a little underpowered, and/or it could be a DC horn connected to an AC to DC converter. I don't know much at all about the Wheelock 7002T, other than what you've told me.
That alarm sounds like it's in decent condition. It's a little rough sounding, but the alarm is probably around 20 years old, and if frequently activated, starting to wear out. The 7002T I own sounds far worse, very rough and unpleasent sounding (only set it off once). And yes, 7002Ts are DC alarms, most likely operated on a DC power supply from a fire alarm control panel.

Return to “Videos and Media”