md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Tue May 12, 2009 9:38 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:There is an entirely solar-powered 2001 near Bonfils Blood Center in east Denver.
So nice that one can install it anywhere without expense and difficulty of burying or bringing power to it.
That's great if you have storms only in the daytime and not on cloudy days (I sense a problem there).
They've got batteries that solar cells recharge.[/quote]I've seen numerous sirens go up in my area recently with this sort of setup. The most recent video i recorded of a 2001 was the older series. However a mile north of this siren was a solar-powered only siren. as the test went on i could faintly hear its tone get a bit lower as the test went on. :P
--bc

Robert Gift

Tue May 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:There is an entirely solar-powered 2001 near Bonfils Blood Center in east Denver.
So nice that one can install it anywhere without expense and difficulty of burying or bringing power to it.
That's great if you have storms only in the daytime and not on cloudy days (I sense a problem there).
They've got batteries that solar cells recharge.
If we have a siren activation for a tornado warning, I wonder how soon the batteries can recover a charge in subsequent cloudy/stormy days.
Can the siren have enough stored power, or gain enough, for another activation that night or the following day?

This reminds me of the NE2 bulb I carefully installed in my GE Range clock to show the time at night.

As soon as it got dark, the light went out.
When I shined a flashlight beam on it, it LIT!

It needed just that little extra energy to help it exceed its breakdown threshold.
Funny and frustrating after all the work getting the light and wiring in there.

Federal Signal fan

Wed May 13, 2009 2:49 am

The horns a bit dinged in the first picture, other than that, the siren look great. I'd say you did a great job with the repairs Derek!

Joshua
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

jkvernon

Wed May 13, 2009 3:51 am

From what I understand, the T-128 can hold a charge for 21 days after losing power and still give a 15 minute siren cycle. I would imagine that this would be similar with the 2001-130 since it has about the same power requirements.

Robert Gift

Wed May 13, 2009 4:07 am

jkvernon wrote:From what I understand, the T-128 can hold a charge for 21 days after losing power and still give a 15 minute siren cycle. I would imagine that this would be similar with the 2001-130 since it has about the same power requirements.
Thanks.

After a warning, I wonder how much power remains and how quickly it will recharge from solar energy, especially if the following days are stormy.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”