flyonby13

Look at this control box

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:02 pm

sorry for the small pic. but you can still see it and that is the good thing.
-Nathan-

loudmouth

Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 pm

? what is it to? whats so impressive ?
am i missing some thing here?

flyonby13

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:04 pm

It is the control box to a model 5. and is different than what I have seen any where else. Sorry for not putting that info up.
-Nathan-

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:49 am

flyonby13 wrote:It is the control box to a model 5. and is different than what I have seen any where else. Sorry for not putting that info up.
Our single phase 12 port 7 and single toned 2 have control boxes just like that. It looks like someone gutted a Whelen control cabinet and installed the controls for the mechanical sirens in it. I'd hope thay're not using the controls for the Whelen to control these sirens. I'll get a pic of the 2s control box if it's not too hot outside tomorrow.

Rheems1

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:04 am

There is a fire department here in Pa that has a Whelen 1000,yes, you read that right... the orignal 1000... it was basically a toneboard and you supplied your own speakers. They have this thing up on a hill, they have the standard Whelen controls but there is a Federal AR timer in the box with the Whelen controls. It is definutly something I have never seen before... but there is all kinds of stuff out there. There wasn't a siren there before the Whelen either, already thought of that and asked about it.

Dave

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:38 am

Hey Dave, I remember a picture of that control box back with I forget-his-name. (was it Steelman Hiles?) I belive there was even a recording of it on the first siren contest (the other recording of the 2t22 and low tone Federal 7 won the contest).

Its the Whelen and 5T entry: http://web.archive.org/web/200112011548 ... rg/contest (and no, the links DO NOT work, WarningSirens.org is defunct now
:(

Anybody have those two recordings? My old archive hard drive fried last year will all of my siren stuff back from 1999 on it, and so went all of the old WarningSirens.org files.

Rheems1

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:15 pm

Jason,

You are very right, Mike Stalnecker had made the recording in Tremont, Pa. Him and I got together and went up and looked at and started poking around the control box. What a surprise to find an AR timer in there!! I used to have the sound clip, but my hard drive had also fried so I lost it as well.

Dave Fritz

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”